September 10th 2019
A big welcome to everyone! We hope that everyone has had a wonderful summer break. We are all very
excited about the 2019-2020 school year.
You will notice that there are a couple of new faces this year. I would like to take this opportunity to extend a Big Welcome to Mrs. Bridget Patihk who will be teaching grade 5/6. Mrs. Moss has officially retired and we welcome Mrs. Cuffe who will be in the office Tuesday-Thursday. Mrs. Rogers will be in the office from Monday to Friday.
At this time, our new addition of Durham Academy is in full swing. We have a grade 9, 10 and 11 class.
Mrs. Geofroy has generously offered her time again as our Librarian on Friday mornings. Thank you Mrs. Geofroy. A criminal reference check is mandatory for all volunteers and staff.
Our Handbook of School Policies for 2019-2020 has been distributed. Please read your Handbook carefully and complete the Parent Acknowledgement and return it to the office at your earliest convenience. September weather is rather unpredictable, please insure that sunscreen has been applied to your children and that they have hats for outdoor activity. Thank you. Please note that gym days continue to be Tuesday and Thursday.
Reminders & Updates!
- We are a completely NUT FREE school! That means NO NUTS OF ANY KIND. Please remember this when preparing your children’s lunch or snacks. Read labels carefully as some products may contain traces of nuts. “WOW” butter is allowed as a substitute BUT the lunch must be labeled as such, or it will be returned home unopened. Thank you for your cooperation.
- Forsellino will supervise Morning Daycare Monday to Friday and Ms. Fitzpatrick will supervise After School Daycare Monday to Friday. Please inform the office if you have a child in our Pre-Casa Toddler Program that requires morning or after school daycare to enable us to accommodate your needs. Thank you. All students arriving before 8:00 a.m. are required to go to the Pre-Casa Toddler Room. At 8:00 a.m. Mrs. Hobbs will take the Casa 2 and up students to the Gym as we are required to keep students aged 3.8 years or younger separated from students age 5 and older. If your child arrives before 8:00 a.m. and they are aged 3.8 or younger, they will proceed to the Pre-Casa Toddler Room. If they are older and they arrive before 8:00 they will go directly to the Pre-Casa Toddler Room until 8:00 a.m. then Mrs. Hobbs will take them to the gym. Casa 1 and 2 will begin their day with recess outside (weather permitting) from 8:30 to 9:00 a.m. Thank you for your cooperation. Due to legislation, Casa 1 & 2 will be separated. Casa 1 will remain in the fenced area and Casa 2 will play on the designated pavement and/or field.
- Please try to provide your children with garbage less lunches whenever possible. All garbage will be placed in your children’s lunch boxes to be returned home. Packing an extra Ziploc bag for all the uneaten food will assist in keeping your child’s lunchbox clean.
- If you need to speak to your child’s teacher, please make an appointment through the office. It is very difficult for a teacher to have a conversation while looking after their students.
- Please provide jackets/sweaters for your children for morning recess as the mornings are much cooler than the afternoon. Fall weather is on its way!
- Intramurals will begin Tuesday, September 17th for grades 1-3, which will be Battleship! Beginning on Thursday, September 19th, the Grades 4-8’s will be doing Soccer. Intramural permission forms have been distributed.
- After School Programs information has been distributed..
- Friday’s Pizza Lunches will begin on September 13th! Pizza is available to our Casa 2 to Grade 8 students only. A ‘Pizza Order Form’ was included in the summer mail-out package for your completion. If you require a pizza order form they are available in the office. Please be advised that we will be using Pizza Pizza again this year. Hot Lunch Lady is also available to our Casa 2 to Grade 8 students from Monday to Friday. Your order needs to be placed online! If you are paying cash for your Pizza Lunch, please insure that you have the exact amount. The office does not always have cash readily available to make change. Thank you.
- The B.M.S. (includes Pre-Casa Toddlers, Casa 1, 2 & 3) Curriculum Overview is Wednesday, September 18th at 6:30 p.m. in the Gym. The D.E.P.S Curriculum Overview is Wednesday, September 25th at 6:30 p.m. in the Gym. Each year at least one parent asks what the difference between Kindergarten and Montessori is, and the difference between public and private school. Our Curriculum Overviews will give you a better understanding of the differences and what we have to offer.
- E.P.S – Shoe bags are to remain at the school on Fridays and the teachers will put them away until Monday. Please keep shoes on the floor if your children cannot reach the top rack.
- B.M.S – Students must empty their cubbies and take home everything on Fridays to be returned on Mondays.
- For new parents that have not returned a signed Student Waiver for the 2019-2020 school year, please do so at your earliest convenience. This is required for all Program Enhancements that require your child to leave the school premises. The Health Department also requires that we provide a copy of your child’s Immunization Record upon registration. Please provide this to the office at your earliest convenience if you have not already done so. Thank you.
- If your child requires that the school administer medication you must complete a “Medication Form” located in the office. Please be advised that due to new legislation we are no longer allowed to have community Tylenol and Advil. In the past the school would purchase Tylenol, Advil, etc. and with parent’s permission we would administer it to the ill child. Unfortunately we can no longer do that. However, a family can bring us medication labelled with the child’s name and fill out a “Medication Form”, should their child develop a fever. If your child has a fever at home, we do have a policy in place that all children need to be fever free for 24 hours before returning to school.
- Please note that if a D.E.P.S. student arrives in the gym before 8:45 a.m. or remains in the gym after 3:45 p.m. you will be charged for daycare at a rate of $7.00 per hour. A daycare invoice will be provided to you the first week of every month. Thank you. Students are not allowed to hang out in their classrooms before or after school.
- DRESS DOWN DAY will continue to be the 2nd Friday of each month. It is $2.00 per student to participate in the dress down day. Please remember to label all your children’s clothes, shoes, gym and school uniform pieces, coats, hats, gloves and lunch boxes. This may help alleviate the problem with Lost and Found items. Our Lost and Found tub is located in the front foyer. Thank you.
- Thanksgiving Food Drive – Please see attachment for our food drive information.
- Picture Day – Picture Day is Friday, September 20th, beginning at 9:00 a.m. E.P.S. students wear full uniform including vest. Individual pictures as well as class pictures will be taken. If this is a day that your child does not normally attend school, please plan to bring your child for his/her picture. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Please advise the office is someone new to us is picking up your child and please expect us to check identification.
- Report Cards – Reports will be issued November 22nd.
- An academic calendar has been attached to ensure you are current with all our upcoming important dates!
- School Entrance Doors – Please refrain from manipulating the front foyer doors to stay open. We pride ourselves on our commitment to safety and security for our students. I understand that we can get very warm weather, however, our student’s safety always comes first and our doors must remain closed and locked. No Exceptions.
- Program Enhancement – On Wednesday, September 11th we are pleased to have the Travelling Stage perform “Sunshine Drama” for our Casa 1 class from 9:45am-10:30am, as well as “Folk Tales from Around the World” for our Grade 1-3 classes from 10:30am-11:30am! Travelling Stage comes back again on Wednesday, September 18th to perform “Comedy Improv” from 9:00am-10:00am for our Grade 4-6 classes, and “Put Your Best Foot Forward” from 10:00am-11:00am for our grade 7/8 class!
Program Enhancement – I am pleased to inform you that on Wednesday, October 2nd WonderPhil will be putting on a magic show for our Casa 2–Grade 1/2 classes! On Wednesday, October 9th ‘Craft Corner’ is returning for the Casa 1 class from 10:00am-11:00am. The students thoroughly enjoyed their last visit and we look forward to their visit once again!
Program Enhancement – Our Grade 1-3 classes will be enjoying a trip to the Oshawa Museum for “A Day in the Life of a Victorian Child” tour on Wednesday, September 25th at 9:30am, and our Grade 4-6 classes will be taking the “Indigenous Oshawa” tour at 9:30am on the same day. Meanwhile our Casa 2 & 3’s will be going to the Pickering Museum Village on Wednesday, September 25th at 9:30am to participate in the Wonderful Wool program!
The sex Education portion of the Health Curriculum will be taught to our Grade 1-8 students in the spring. Prior to when the curriculum is taught a letter will go home to parents requesting their permission. As always, our parents have the option to say no to this strand of the curriculum. I suggest that parents go online to see what the curriculum strands are. Please call me or come and see me if you have any concerns.
Please note the school is closed for Thanksgiving on Friday, October 11th and Monday, October 14th.
Cold and Flu season is approaching. It is our school policy that if a child has a fever or is vomiting, or has pinkeye or strep throat that they do not return to school until their symptom free for 24 hours. Please adhere to this policy to help prevent other students and staff from becoming ill. If you have any questions, please call the office. Thank you.
In closing, remember that our door is always open to welcome suggestions and feedback or simply to say “Hello”! Please come to the office anytime if you have questions/concerns. Thank you for your support and cooperation.
Until next time…..